1. This record got a lot of hate when it came out in December, mostly because critics read all the indie rocker appearances—Little Dragon, Wavves, Phantogram—as Big Boi reaching to try to get indie rock kids to listen to his records. They read it as a pander fest, and shat all over the song with Wavves, shat all over the idea that Big Boi needs Phantogram or Little Dragon, and shat all over Big Boi not just making Sir Lucious Left Foot 2 like he should have.
But that knee-jerk reaction overlooked some facts:
- Indie rock kids were a not insignificant part of the audience for Sir Lucious to begin with; it’s not like there was a huge radio hit off that record. If anything, Big Boi was just cementing the indie rock audience he had, not reaching for people who were waiting for him to hook up with Phantogram before they’d be interested.
- The song with Wavves is actually the best song on the album, and when you can admit that to yourself, you’ll find that you find the rest of the album’s charms—specifically “In the A”—measure up pretty favorably overall to Sir Lucious. The new album isn’t nearly as good, but it’s not horrible; it’s a solid 7.5 album.
So, I guess I’m saying that I like this album, and don’t really understand the hatred directed towards it. I sort of think that the built up frustration of knowing that Big and Andre aren’t going to do another album together was enough to make critics flip on this, and flip hard.
2. One of the main reasons I like this album is for “Gossip,” a song featuring UGK (including the dead Pimp C, RIP) and Big K.R.I.T., which ISN’T EVEN ON THIS VINYL EDITION BECAUSE OF SOME REASON. Has anyone been able to amply describe why, when stretching an album out to double vinyl—as they have done here—they don’t bother adding the bonus stuff from the deluxe CD edition? I mean, I am paying more than CD price for this, and I don’t get the bonus CD stuff? That shit is so weak. Why wouldn’t the vinyl and the deluxe CD editions be the same? Someone’s got some mansplaining to do.
But it’s probably something to do with licensing or whatever. I just don’t get how that can happen, especially when this one has like three songs a side.
3. Seriously though, the Wavves song is the best one on here. And that is hard to admit, especially since fucking B.o.B has a verse on it.